Acne is a skin condition which happens when dead skin cells and oil plugged with hair follicles. Acne commonly looks at face, chest, shoulder and back.
Types of Acne
There are 6 types of acne which are
- Whiteheads (Closed Plugged Pores which won’t pop)
- Blackheads ( Open Plugged Pores )
- Papules ( Small Red spots feel sore when touch)
- Pustules (Pus Filled in Papules)
- Nodules ( Large lumps with pain)
- Cysts (Large lumps filled with pus)
What Causes Acne?
Main reason of Acne is blockage of skin pores with dead skin, oil or bacteria. Pore of skin is an opening of follicle which made up of hair and oil gland (sebum). This oil gland produce oil which travel hair form the pore and on the skin. This sebum keeps your skin soft.
Acne can be occur when one or more problem come in this process. It may occur when:
- Your Follicle produce excess of oil.
- Bacteria builds up in pores
- Excess of dead cells in pores.
- Age- Acne can occur in any age of your life. But its most common in teenagers.
- Hormonal Changes- Hormonal changes is common in teenagers, women, girls and people who are using some medication like androgen, birth control pills.
- Family Background- Genetics play a very important role in acne. If one of your parents have acne, you are likely to have acne.
- Oily Substance- If you eat diet with high refined sugar and carbohydrates like bread or chips. You may face acne when skin comes in contact with oily cream too.
How Is Acne Treated?
There are lots of home remedies available to prevent and clear up your pimple. Self care activities for pimples are:
- You can use mild soap for clearing your face to remove oil..
- Wash your hair daily and keep it away from your face.
- Used water based make up kit.
- Don’t touch your pimple
- Remove all make up before goes to bed.
If home remedies are not working properly, then there are lots of over the counter medication are available for acne. Most of the medication have ingredients that help to reduce oil on your skin, open pores or kill bacteria.
- Benzoyl Peroxide available in most of creams and gels of pimple. Its very helpful to reduce existing pimples and prevents to generate new ones. It also help to kill bacteria which cause acne.
- Resorcinol is not a common ingredients that help in reducing dead skin cells.
- Salicylic acid is usually find in soap which help to prevent pores to get plugged.
Sometimes you experience acne symptoms after using medication. If it happen, you should consult a doctor. Your doctor will exam you and gives you medication as per your condition which help to reduce your symptoms and prevent you from pimples.
- Antibiotic help to kill bacteria that cause pimples and also help to reduce inflammation. But antibiotics used only for short period of time. So that your body don’t make any resistance and make any infection.
- If your doctor prescribe topical cream like retinoic acid or prescription-strength benzoyl peroxide, these are very helpful for pimple treatment. These help to reduce excess of oil and open pores.
- Doctor will prescribe birth control pills for a woman with hormonal acne. That pills help to regulate imbalance hormones which cause pimples.
- Doctor can also prescribe Isotretinoin, a Vitamin-A based medicine, that’s help to reduce severe nodular acne. But it has very serious side effects. So doctor only prescribe it when other treatment not work.
There is some additional treatment your doctor may recommend you to prevent scarring. These treatment work by reducing oil, removing dead skin or opening pores.
- Photodynamic Therapy- In this therapy, doctor use some medication and special light or laser to kill bacteria and reduce oil production.
- Dermabrasion- Its help to remove upper layer of skin by rotating brush. Microdermabrasion helps to open pores and remove dead skin.
- A Chemical Peel Essentially helps to remove upper layer of your skin. It also helps to open pores.
Your doctor may recommend you Cortisone injection in case of your acne have large cysts. Cortisone is a steroid which our body produce naturally. It helps to reduce inflammation and helps in speed recovery. Cortisone is not given alone, its always given with other treatment of acne.