Menopause is a time, when women’s menstrual cycle comes to an end. Menopause diagnose when you don’t have period for one year. Menopause mostly happen at age of 40 or 50.
Menopause is a naturally biological process which comes in every women’s life who are over 40 or 50 years old. Women may feel some physical symptoms like hot flashes, lower energy or may be affect emotionally. There are lots of treatment option available for menopause from hormone therapy to change in lifestyle.
A women may feel following sign and symptoms.
- Thinner hair
- Dry skin
- Hot Flashes
- Night Sweat
- Mood Change
- Vaginal Dryness
- Weight Gain
Some women may experience irregular period before it stops. In perimenopause, women may skip period. Its common and much expected. Mostly, menstrual cycle will skip for some months and then starts again for few months. Period may be shorter than usual. Despite irregular period, there is chances of pregnancy. If you skip period and you are not sure that this is due to menopause, then go for a pregnancy test.
There are some reason which may cause menopause includes:
- Naturally decrease in reproductive hormones– When you reach your late 30’s, ovaries starts to produce less estrogen and progesterone. These hormones help to regulate menses, and due to this, your fertility decrease. In your 40’s, your period may be longer or shorter, heavy bleeding or lighter, and at age of 50’s, your ovaries stop producing eggs and then you have end your periods.
- Hysterectomy- In hysterectomy doctor remove only your uterus not your ovaries. That’s why it doesn’t cause immediate menopause. Although, you don’t have your period, but your ovaries still produce estrogen and progesterone. But in surgery, doctor removes both your ovaries and uterus and it cause immediate menopause. Your menstrual cycle stop immediately, and you have not seen any other sign and symptoms of menopause.
You may face some medical complications after menopause. These are,
- Heart and Blood Vessel Disease- Chances of Cardiovascular disease increase when your estrogen level decrease. Heart disease is a very major reason of death in women and men these days. So, you should maintain your weight, eat healthy diets and do regular exercise. You may contact with your doctor for keep your heart safe or you may take advice about how to reduce cholesterol or high blood pressure.
- Osteoporosis- In this condition, your bone become very weak and it may increase the risk of fracture. After menopause, you may lose bone density and it increase the risk of Osteoporosis.
- Urinary Incontinence- After menopause, tissue of your vagina and urethra lose its elasticity which may cause frequent and sudden urinate. Even you may lose urine when coughing, laughing or lifting heavy things. You may be affected with Urinary Tract Infection easily.
- Sexual Function- Due to vaginal dryness and lose of elasticity, you may feel discomfort and little bit bleeding during intercourse. It also decrease sensation, so it may reduce your sexual desires.You may use water based lubricants for sexual activity. If lubricant is not enough, then you may go for estrogen treatment.
- Weight Gain- Weight gain is very common after menopause. So you should eat less and do more exercise, just to control your weight.
Sign and symptoms are enough to tell women that they have started menopause. You may contact with your doctor if your are experience irregular period or hot flashes. Doctor will not recommend you any test. But in some cases, doctor will ask you for blood test to check your
- Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and estrogen level, because, when your estrogen level decrease and FSH level increase, then menopause start.
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) level, because an under active thyroid can show symptoms similar to menopause.
It doesn’t required any kind of medical treatment. But in some cases treatment may include:
- Hormone Therapy- This is the best option of treatment for relieving menopausal hot flashes. Doctor may recommend very low dose of estrogen for a very short period of time for give you relief. Estrogen may also help to keep bone strong. If you use long term hormone therapy, then it may increase the risk of cardiovascular and breast cancer. You may discus with your doctor about risk and benefit of hormone therapy.
- Vaginal Estrogen- Doctor will use estrogen directly into vagina to reduce vaginal dryness with the help of vaginal cream or ring. In this process, a very small amount of estrogen release, which is absorbed by vaginal tissue. It will help in reducing vaginal dryness and you will not feel discomfort in intercourse.
- Gabapentin – Its a medically proved treatment for seizures. But it also help to reduce hot flashes. This medicine is very helpful for those women, who can not hormonal therapy and for those, who have night time hot flashes.
Before deciding about treatment, you should talk with your doctor and get detail about risk and benefit of each.